The Newhaven EZ Community Fund at Sussex Community Foundation, which launched last year in the town, has made its first grants, totalling £25,000, to six local charities and community groups.
Representatives of the delighted recipient groups joined Newhaven Enterprise Zone Programme Director, Corinne Day (here, 2nd from right), and Sussex Community Foundation Chief Executive, Kevin Richmond (here, 5th from left), to celebrate these first awards at the Growing Together Community Garden in Newhaven on Tuesday (16 April).
- Newhaven Families Forum, a group of volunteer parents provide low cost activities for families during the school holidays in the Newhaven area. The £4,920 grant will be used for venue hire and equipment.
- Growing Together Community Garden where the community grows its own vegetables and holds regular events in a beautiful coastal clifftop setting. The £4,785 grant will be used to make the garden more accessible for groups in the town who would benefit.
- Newhaven and District Mencap which provides social activities for young people and adults with learning disabilities. The £5,000 grant is towards the group’s core costs.
- Newhaven Gig Rowing Club is a friendly, local and inclusive club that uses a six-seat wooden rowing boat ‘Gig Amelie’. They have recently commissioned a second (new) training boat and this £4,718 grant will help pay to fit it out.
- Denton Community Challenge and the James Daniels Memorial Fund will provide a local summer event, promoting sports and community in the Newhaven area. This £500 funding will help them to cover event costs.
- Newhaven Open Call was launched in 2018 by three local artists and was part of last year’s Artwave. This £5,000 grant is to repeat and expand their event.
Kevin Richmond, Chief Executive of Sussex Community Foundation said “It has been a delight to work with Newhaven Enterprise Zone to support these excellent local charities. We are committed to supporting the community of Newhaven for the long term and we hope that this exciting partnership with the enterprise zone help us to do just that.”
Corinne Day, Programme Director of Newhaven Enterprise Zone, said: “It’s fantastic to see these local groups and organisations supported by the Newhaven EZ Community Fund. Newhaven has a really strong sense of community and its local groups like these which help the town thrive. The enterprise zone will continue to support this community to create a place where people want to live, work and study.”
The Newhaven EZ Community Fund is managed by Sussex Community Foundation and supports charities and non-profit organisations. It gives grants once a year and applications must benefit Newhaven and help to encourage a sense of place and build on the thriving community in the town. For information about the fund, including the criteria and application form, click here.
About Newhaven Enterprise Zone
Newhaven Enterprise Zone is a collaboration between Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership and Lewes District Council and commenced in April 2017. Located between several key transport links and already home to a number of rapidly growing companies, Newhaven provides fantastic opportunities for businesses looking to thrive in this growing economy. For more information on Newhaven Enterprise Zone is here.