UPDATE on coronavirus and our grant-making April 2021
The Sussex Crisis Fund – Support & Recovery phase will open for applications shortly. Please return to this page then to read the criteria and apply.
Meanwhile, our General Awards are open to applications (see below) and we do continue to have the following emergency fund available:
- ESCC Food Security Fund – funding for food security projects in East Sussex. Please see below for more information. Applications for the ESCC Food Security Fund can be received at any time and will be reviewed on an ongoing basis, with outcomes expected within two to three weeks of applications being received. We recommend reading the criteria carefully before submitting your application. Please do also ensure all the required supporting information is sent to us at the time of submitting your application. We cannot consider your application without this.
Our General Awards
Here is how our grant-making process works
We have three main rounds of grant-giving each year. Upcoming deadlines for applications (unless specified otherwise) is 5:00pm (1700 hours) as follows:
- Friday 7th May 2021 (Decisions in Summer 2021)
- Friday 10th September 2021 (Decisions in Autumn 2021)
- Friday 7th January 2022 (Decisions in Spring 2022)
Our grants programme is made up of a range of funds which help to address disadvantage and deprivation and build resilience in Sussex communities. We are particularly keen to support grassroots community groups and small-to-medium sized voluntary organisations. Please note our general funds cannot support small contributions to large capital appeals or campaigns.
Please read the general guidance notes before applying.
Access our online application form by following this link and follow the on-screen instructions. You can save and return to your application as many times as you like before you submit it. If you are unable to apply online, please contact our Grants Team on 01273 409440 or email for a copy of the application form.
Our current round
Please note: some of the funds open this round have criteria outside our General Awards and/or a special application form or a different deadline. Most of our grants are up to £5,000 unless otherwise advertised.
East Sussex Food Security Fund East Sussex County Council has committed £195,000 to support food security projects in East Sussex. This funding strand has its own criteria and the application process is the same as for the Sussex Crisis Fund. For more information, please visit here. This strand of funding continues to be open and we encourage applicants to submit their proposals as soon as they are ready. Apply online here.
Other funds currently open
- #ClubsinCrisis Fund is now open for applications. The fund will make unrestricted grants of up to £2,021 to clubs and community organisations with an annual turnover of up to £75,000, using sport to improve young people’s lives and who match the criteria. This fund has its own application form and the deadline for applications is Friday 4th June.
- East Brighton Trust Fund supports voluntary or not-for-profit community groups to undertake projects or run events that benefit people who live in East Brighton. Grants of up to £500 are available. The East Brighton area is defined as: Bates Estate, Higher Bevendean, Manor Farm, Moulsecoomb, Saunders Park, Bristol Estate, Craven Vale, and Whitehawk. This fund has its own guidance and online application form. Deadline: Friday 7th May.
- Westdene Fund gives grants of up to £1,000 to individual young people (aged 16-25 years) in Sussex with outstanding musical talent. This fund has its own guidance and online application form which needs to be completed with supporting reference document which can be found here. Applications can be made at any time.
Applications to the Argus Appeal Fund are closed whilst we continue to respond to emergency funding needs but we hope to reopen the fund to applications again in the future.
For information on or to apply to the Shoreham Air Show Fund, please call our Head of Grant Programmes, Hannah Clay on 01273 409440 or email Hannah Clay.
All applications received must be accompanied by copies of the required supporting documents (including signed copies of your constitution and accounts) by the relevant deadline. Please note you do not have to resubmit copies of your constitution and policies if you have already done so with a previous application. You will find the list of documents to submit with your application on our standard guidance.